Friday 12 October 2012

Happy Birthday

Today would have been the 53rd birthday of Chang Chee Teck, the cancer warrior. It has been a  little over month that he passed away on Sept 11.  His mother has been chanting daily for him since his end stage and will be continuing for 49 days after his death to accumulate the merits to fulfill her son's wishes to be reborn as a monk in New Zealand.

When he was at his end stage, I asked a Taiwanese monk about his condition and the monk said that he was reaching the end of his life span. This was a no-brainer actually but it helped people like me who still had that little hope to prepare for his death. Upon hearing the news, I took the opportunity to make some offerings for him  in the Grand Puja Ceremony which was coincidentally taking place the next day. To make offerings to minimise his suffering and attain a good rebirth.

Last year on this day, I bought him a simple lunch at the Green Meadows Organic Restaurant in SS2 Petaling Jaya. His favourite was the lotus leaf rice. We also ordered the rainbow salad. After all, we cannot take for granted that the next birthday will come and the next and the next.  So I thought why not have a simple celebration. It was the first and last time we celebrated his birthday.

Wherever you are, Chee Teck, may you be well and happy! May you enjoy the New Zealand food and the beautiful landscape!

7 comments:

  1. Bodhi Circle..Thank you very much for setting up this blog. I may or may not have met you in person, but thanks a lot for reading out my messages to CT.

    Chee Teck..Happy Birthday where ever you are...

    From: How Beng

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Zealand is a nice and relative peaceful place. I was a student in very windy and wet Wellington many many years ago. Much later I returned to live in Auckland for a few years. No where like home. So I returned to Boleh Land for good.

    When I first saw Chang's photo in his blog I thought he was around his 30s. He looked young and dashing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear How Beng,

    I know that you and Chee Teck go back a long way. I hope to meet you one day. In fact, I asked Mrs Chang to allow me to read to Chang by mentioning that a very old Std 5 friend, How Beng had a message for Chang and that I was certain Chang wanted to hear it. Yours was the first message I read.

    Chang's Friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Bodhi Circle,

    It's indeed a rare honour to have a person like you to share your time and thoughts for a common friend. My deepest appreciation for your kind gestures and thank you very much.

    How Beng



    ReplyDelete
  5. CF,

    Like all others I truly salute your kind heartedness, being kind not only to Chang, but also sharing the experience of dealing with cancer patients, very valuable indeed, but might not so straight forward when it is about a loved one. I had recently seen 3 cases of cancer patients including Chang, the other one was my own cousin brother (who succumbed in less than 3 months of diagnosis) and another healthy man who refused to accept the ill fate.He did not want anyone to know, luckily his wife was more open. I will share this article with his wife in due course.

    Yes, Chang, wherever you are, Happy Birthday, NZ is very scenic, perhaps much better protected than Cameron Highland ; kokpiew

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kok Piew,

    I do agree with you. It is not so straightforward. And I believe sharing helps. As a person with cancer, Chang himself faced dfficulty reaching out to fellow cancer patients sometimes.

    CF

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Chang!
    May God grant your wishes a rebirth at New Zealand...

    ReplyDelete