Monday 29 October 2012

49th Day (Part One of Three)



I was reminded that today is the 49th day since my friend, Chang's passing. Since some readers here were followers of Chang's blog, I thought it apt to share some memories of him today, as a mark of respect. For readers who are new, Chang battled cancer for 3 years and passed away on September 11. It is not easy writing about anyone, alive or deceased as there are sensitivities to be considered. Everyone remembers their loved one differently.  He was a man with imperfections like the rest of us. He wanted to live, like all of us do. And by sharing his story, hopefully we  learn to live better through his good examples as well as his mistakes. This is my account.

I met Chang when I was relatively new to the corporate world. I joined the company when he had just resigned. He was my mentor-colleague for a brief period. At that time, he was still studying for his professional accounting examinations. I found him to be approachable, helpful, knowledgeable in his work, capable and  a hands-on worker. We kept in touch over the years and later, had another opportunity to work together again, also for a brief period. This time, I was much more seasoned and he had already obtained his accounting qualification. He was a very focused person, he always seemed to know what to do and to be in control.  I also  realised during this period that his general approach was a highly stressful one. And he could work for hours non-stop. I could not keep up with his pace. I felt he was driven by the need to earn money and an interest in IT. He was also very thrifty.  He wanted to train up as a SAP consultant. But he never did.

I got to know him better during the cancer period. He said that I am willing to talk about many subjects that most people are not. At times, I would challenge his words or views when I felt it necessary to do so. I would not be a real friend otherwise. When he got lost in his fears that the cancer had overcome him, just because he lost 1 lb in weight, I would question the validity of his fearful thoughts.  I treated him like any other person, whether or not he suffered from cancer.

I respect him not for his capability or knowledge. It was his strength of will, his openness about the disease and his willingness to share his experience during the cancer period. Many people in his situation would have given up. Few men could soldier on the way he did, doing many things on his own. I think he shone during this period. His resourcefulness and tenacity were outstanding. That said, it is also a double edged sword. Our very strengths taken to the extreme, can turn into weaknesses if they are not used skillfully.. This is where, ideally, spirituality can come in to help balance things out. However, this can only happen if we have the awareness that we have over-done things or over-stressed ourselves. We are not machines, after all. And even machines break down eventually.

( to be continued.......49th Day Part Two will be posted on Wednesday, 31st October.)

5 comments:

  1. Hi CF,

    It is good that you break your posting into 3 parts.

    Chang was a warrior. He was not an ordinary warrior. Ordinary warrior just kills fellow beings. Chang only killed cancer cells. I knew him only through his blog and my opinion on him is based on his postings and replies on comments. He was such a courageous and resilient person. His ability to stay completely focused and confident in his approach was beyond comparison. We are talking about a person who had no medical background and was trying to heal himself from the deadly disease. His mind was so focus and powerful. This is what every Buddhist would wish for, a very focus and powerful mind!

    I hate the term "Hifu" nowadays. You know what I mean.

    I salute Chang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CF,

    I "stumbled" into Chang's blog in 2010 while I was researching about other Asians who are in Gerson therapy just like my mother. Chang, was very generous in responding to my queries then, including where to buy Gerson supplies and such..

    if there is anything that I would like to change, I wish I could have been more effective in communicating to him, I wish I had more time to talk/write to him... not for or my mother's benefit.. but so he knows that people care for him.

    I also wished that he could have been more open in accepting other people's opinions (for example, I guess i wasnt the only one who told him "HIFU" doesnt seem to be a good idea, but he did it anyway.) There was a time when I asked him to be careful about the BAKING SODA treatment... after a few months it seemed he realized it himself and he never posted about Baking Soda treatment again (not sure if it is because he stopped it altogether or just didnt write about it)...

    Dont get me wrong, am not blaming him, and I guess what we loved about him was his tenacity in "being himself" and not "being swayed" by popular opinion...I am just sad thats all... it seems he could have lived longer, if....so many IFs...

    I must say that sometimes, Chang's strenght can also be his weakness sometimes.. but thats how we see him as a complete and "GENUINE" person, isnt it? Is it worth being yourself and losing your life for it?

    still in awe of CHang,,
    ND

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CF,

    I have been a quiet follower of Chang's blog for 2 years. If anybody can survive stage 4 cancer, he would have a very good chance. He was willing to research and bravely try unconventional methods. We really do not know which therapies that he tried has extended his life and which has shorten. Either way, he had exceeded the life expectancy given by his doctors and that for that I salute him.

    SC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear SC,

    Yes, I agree that he was very brave and worked very hard for himself. He also knew the stakes were high.

    CF

    ReplyDelete