Friday 23 November 2012

Success



What is your definition of success? There is a very common definition of success. Money, status, property, expensive cars, successful children. We cannot run away from the fact that money is important in this material world. But how much is enough? How do I maintain a balance? And what do I really want from my life? Do I want to take society's definition as my own? Or do I want to live by my own standards? These were questions I pondered over, time and again.  I realised over time that my priorities had changed. Some things had become less important.

Yes, it can be a very comfortable life. It is also easier to stay with the mainstream. To get the approval and recognition of peers and society but then what....?   And at what cost? Most importantly, am I happy pursuing this success?



4 comments:

  1. Most important is health. Sounds funny? Consider the negative approach. If you don't have good health and are sickly all the time, can you consider yourself as successful?

    Second is sufficient money. Anybody's guess, how much is sufficient. Also depends on at what stage of your life. For an old person like me, if I know that I have enough to last me a lifetime of simple living, that is success for me.

    Third, peace of mind and love of friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Success to means happiness, a person that contributes to the community and a kind and caring person.

    Happiness means healthy and a comfortable life, not necessarily a luxury one but it can be. Best of all doing something that we are passionate about. Happy within oneself. I think gratitude and helping others gives us fulfillment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear CF
    Money is not everything to success, though it is necessary to lead a comfortable life and to survive. Innerself peace and serenity is the key to happiness. To have more and more is suffering and it will never end.

    I agree being kind, caring, helping others, healthy and loving oneself are all keys to success.
    Take care.
    Sze

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear All,

    Success in the ordinary sense needs to be redefined by ourselves, not by others. I see all of you have done so.

    CF

    ReplyDelete