Sunday 11 November 2012

Desperately Seeking Toffee

TOFFEE, our stray cat went out and has not been home for about two weeks now. We have had her since she was a month old kitten. When she was little, she was very fearful. She used to run away whenever we approached her. One day out of my zealousness, I tried to hold her and was bitten. I ended up needing an injection. I learned my lesson that day.

Toffee (on the right)  with her sister on their first visit to the vet.
I took in the strays in at a time when I had no liking for cats.  I thought that they were a  lazy lot and only came home when they needed food. I laugh at myself now. How could I make such judgements without knowing or understanding cats? And that is how we, humans can be, not only to animals but our fellow men. We are so quick to jump to conclusions looking through our tinted glasses (biased minds) though we have little knowledge. Over time, I grew to understand and  love them while caring for them.  Not only  was I changed but my neighbour too. She really disliked them, not letting them near her house even. But now, she supports my decision to help the strays after understanding their nature. Now, I think cats are so relaxed, cool, smart and very much like us. They respond to love and have their distinct personalities. Toffee is feisty, protective and gentle. She is the big sister of the lot.

One morning last year, I heard Toffee whining non-stop and decided to check on her. I examined her and found a deep cut on her abdomen. I took her to the vet and she was given antibiotics. I was instructed to use hibiscrub and iodine solution to clean her wound twice a day to prevent infection. But how would I be able to do that? I was packed and ready for a family holiday in Cameron Highlands the next day. I immediately decided to bring her and her sister along, much to my husband's chagrin. So we packed their food and they travelled in a carrier with us for the three hour journey. They were surprisingly very well behaved and we spent our holiday together with them in the cool mountains.

I have been waiting for her for the past two weeks. Where is she? I miss her presence.  I keep on looking out for her, hoping to see her trotting along. I pray that she is well.  Toffee, please come home. We miss you.

.................................................................................................................................

I named her Toffee because she has a beautiful dark brown colour and deep brown eyes. Besides Pansy, she is my very special cat. I used to give her a nickname, Toffee Moffee. She has a special quality. When I am sad, she rubs herself against my legs, curls up next to me and meows very softly. But now that Toffee is missing, I feel very sad. I really hope she is not dead. If she is somewhere else at another house, I hope she is happy. If  Toffee has passed on, I hope she is standing at the rainbow bridge, waiting for me.
(Written by CF's daughter)

...................................................................................................................................
This is a post that was written jointly with my daughter before Toffee came home to us. She came back yesterday but I decided to post this as a tribute to her and to record here, the significance of her presence in our lives. It was when she went missing that I reminisced about the past and wished to have more time with her. It reminded me that I need to make more effort in my relationships with  friends and loved ones while they are still with me. Every living being is important and precious. They are in our lives for a reason and a season.

5 comments:

  1. Cats are usually home savvy. They can find their homes even miles away.

    The "stray" cats "visited" my garden for only two purposes. Trespassing and leaving their stinking mess in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Aunty CF,
    I was given the name MiMi by my adopted mummy CP. I was amongst the many stray cats roaming around aimlessly looking for food and shelter, and I had just given birth to 3 lovely kittens then.I was like a walking skeleton with no means to produce enough milk to feed my poor little kittens. Everywhere that I went people shooed me away using water hose and the passing cars were just too fast and I feared for the safety of my 3 little kittens. I was then only 6 months old, a kitten myself.

    One evening I chanced upon my 'mummy' putting food on a plate outside her house. I ran as fast as my tiny body could take me to eat the food before another stray cat feast on it. I remember mummy commented on how fragile I was and told me to drop by every evening at her place for dinner. I knew then that I have found a wonderful home for my kittens.

    However the raining season didn't help and my 3 kittens were eventually washed off by the heavy downpour one evening. They were just 3 weeks old then. I was so sad and mummy consoled me. Luckily for me, mummy took pity on me and allowed my 'husband' DiDi and his mother Manja to accompany me by providing us shelter and food everyday.

    It's been two years since mummy adopted all three of us. We are now fat and beautiful.'Daddy' even built us a cat public toilet to use at his garden so that we do not make a nuisance of ourselves to the neigbours. Born as strays, we couldn't help 'visiting' the neighbouring gardens to check on the insects and in the process got hosed out by the neighbours. There were many incidents where fast drivers nearly knock us down.

    I now understand the words 'sit','come'and I greet my mummy and daddy every time they come home from work just like how a pet dog behaves. Cat can be a good pet too. We help our parents to de-stress themselves after a tiring day at work.

    We did not choose to be born as cats, what more stray cats. Please help us as we are not able to fend and speak for ourselves. We need good and kind people like you to speak on our behalf.

    Thank you Aunty CF for this wonderful article which I hope will touch many of your readers' hearts and make them be more tolerant of us. By performing good deeds in looking after strays, may they accumulate good merits.

    Lastly, I wish you, Toffee and gang be Well, Happy and Safe always.

    With lots of love and meows from
    MiMi

    **Aunty CF, mummy also dislike cats before I came into her life and I think it's my 'anorexia' look plus my 3 cute kittens who changed her perception 360%. I remember when I first 'claim' her by rubbing myself on her legs, she jumped three feet high, hahaha.. sshhhh.. pls do not tell her I told you this 'meow meow'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your comment very much. It's cute!

    Liaf :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya, Liaf, cheers. I agree with you. It's real nice and cute.

    Valkyrie :)

    Smile always...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear CP,

    I enjoyed reading your comment very much. Thank you.

    CF

    ReplyDelete