Monday 5 November 2012

Alley Cats

My daughter's creative learning class organised a scavenger hunt last Sunday. The hunt was a fun way of practicing the skills that had been taught in class during the year. It was centered around a very inspiring theme,  the Hero Within. In class, the children had explored the qualities of a hero and that anybody can be a hero. As part of the hunt, they were asked to create an inspirational poster that would encourage others to be heroes to their family and their community. On top of that, each child painted a tee shirt which was to be auctioned off for charity. The proceeds were channeled towards buying solar light bulbs for the orang asli or indigenous people.

My daughter chose to highlight the problem of stray animals and the steps which can be taken to help them as well as curb the growing population of strays. I believe she chose this subject because she is familiar with it. We have been taking care of four stray cats at our backyard for the past few years. It all started after her first stray cat,  Pansy died. Pansy's playmate,  another stray cat  named Ginger, gave birth to two female kittens which were left with us. Six months later, she left another two male kittens. After the third set of kittens, we sent her for spaying.

We feed them, give them medical care as well as send them for neutering or spaying. Neutering them helps curb the increasing population of strays. Each year, thousands of healthy and lovable animals are euthanized at shelters and pounds in our country because their numbers greatly exceed the number of available homes. To me, spaying them helps reduce the suffering and abuse of unwanted animals in our society.

I used to think that I did not have the time to help out and that I had to wait until my retirement to contribute to society. After thinking it over, it occurred to me that it is so true that charity begins at home. I actually do not have to travel very far or wait for the perfect time. The perfect time is always now. I decided to do what little I can first. So I started with the stray cats because they were right there, right before my eyes.

Animals can be pretty helpless. For example,the dog pound goes after strays. They are hunted and put down. There are cruel people who take delight in torturing them. How does it feel to be treated so cruelly? Don't they care that animals have feelings too?. And animals do not wear masks like human beings do. You can take them as they are. Which is more than what can be said about the human beings who torture them, isn't it?
 


8 comments:

  1. Dear CJ
    In buddhism we do not even kill ants, mosquitoes, flies etc let alone kill animals. In other words, refrain from killing all living creatures. It is definitely bad karma for them. Animals do have feelings but they cannot talk, only bark for attention, love and food, and they need to be taken care of. They only have their owners to care for them but at the same time the owners must be capable to render care, otherwise they should be surrendered to animal shelters and the govt have to play a big part to sponsor, not kill them. Thus they need to be neutered to curb the population increase of stray animals and I agree to CF's comments, to reduce suffering and abuse, how true.
    Hope everyone, including myself, can help to adopt some strays. I love my friends' and sister's doggies but I have yet to own one. When the time is right I will contribute. Thanks CF for highlighting this.
    Sze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sze

      I would like to highlight that we have to be careful which shelter we surrender the stray too. Some shelters euthanise healthy strays when the numbers get too big. Enquire about their policies before surrendering the animals.

      CF

      Delete
    2. Yes, will do. thanks.

      Delete
  2. Hi CF,

    I think only private schools have such programme for their students. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CF
    You have done well in nurturing your child at a young age to love animals and help the strays. I am also feeding the stray cats in my street and those who come my way and have spayed/neutered them.My family have adopted 3 of them by giving them a loving home. I agree with you that spay/neuter is the way to go in helping to curb the increasing population of the strays. Many unwanted birth of kittens/puppies can be prevented. Kittens/puppies roaming the street are subject to being knocked down by passing vehicles or suffer in the hands of bullies, including humans.

    Thanks for sharing. May all beings be free from suffering.

    Rgds
    CP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear CP,

    That's really great. I consider myself so fortunate to be able to provide some shelter and food for them.

    CF

    ReplyDelete
  5. NIce posting, I guess. I have 4 cats too.

    VC

    ReplyDelete