Friday 2 November 2012

49th Day (Part Three of Three)

This is the last message Chang wrote to his family the weekend before he passed on (top 5 lines only). His handwriting was no longer legible. The bigger words below were the handwriting of his family who tried to decipher what he wrote but no one could make it out.





I visited Chang often starting from end August till September 11, the day he died. Initially, I thought of updating his blog every few days. Because of his condition, Chang left everything to me.  I suppose he was relieved that the blog was being updated at all. After seeing the number of viewers reading minutes after I posted an update, I felt the pressure. At first, I would visit him together with my husband after dinner but I realised that it might be a bit late for him and his family. So, I decided to drive to his house during lunchtime to check him out. We hardly spoke during those times because I did not want to tire him. I spoke mostly to his family to get updated on his medication, constipation problems and any new symptoms. The longest time we sat together was when I read him the readers' messages.

He spent most of the time with his eyes closed and requested for almost constant massage of his abdomen area.  It was obvious to me that he had read up and prepared himself for this end stage of his disease. Consistent with his character, he seemed to have everything under control.  He made arrangements with hospice, to borrow the hospital bed and other medical equipment. He also gave instructions on the administration of his  medication  and his needs until  the day he was unable to communicate. He would spray his lips with water when it was too dry. He asked for iced water and  watermelon, yoghurt or ice-cream because he felt so hot inside. There were times when he would ask when his next dose of morphine would be because he felt the pain but it was not time yet for the next dose. There was a silent understanding that this was a waiting period........ for the end. And  the deterioration towards the end was quite rapid.

I could see that he was mostly a considerate patient. There was no drama, no whining or shouting despite his pain. He just quietly went through the entire process. I admire him for that. The irony is that you see the beauty in a person in their toughest moments.

I inadvertently went through an intensive course in watching the dying process. It was almost surreal. Those visits were filled with mixed emotions.  Watching the terrible suffering a human being has to endure, I wished to help but felt helpless to do much. I was reminded of the fragility and vulnerability of my own human condition.  The very impermanence of my own life and my own fears.  Then, there was the sadness of losing a buddy but on the other hand, the wish that he could go swiftly so that he suffered less. I finally decided that the best I could do was to let him know that he was being supported by many and that his struggle had been a meaningful one, through the readers' messages.

I was already on my way to visit him that afternoon when I received a message from his wife. Chang had passed on.  As I looked upon his dead body, what I saw was a  physical shell. For those few minutes, it felt as though time had stood still. I felt peace, a great reverence and surrendering to life.

We take the business of life so seriously, struggling with our worries and our many neuroses. Have we ever wondered what it is all for? At the end of our lives, we have to surrender everything, our life, our ego, our possessions, our loved ones.. It became profoundly clear at that moment, that there is nothing so big a deal that we need to stress ourselves over, fight with each other over or cannot forgive. Life is precious. Chang fought to the very end to keep it. Treasure what we have, live fully and  be happy.

* *I hope you have enjoyed this 49th day series.

12 comments:

  1. "Uninvited he has come hither,
    He has departed hence without approval,
    Even as he came, just he went.
    What lamentation then could there be?"

    A Buddhist recitation for the departed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chang's story is indeed remarkable worth sharing.
    He may have lost to cancer but he won the war.
    War on the challenges of life, and achieving Holiness.
    He was able to attain it coz of you, the help & support of family and friends.
    Being a part of his LIFE to where he is now is truly self-rewarding.

    Thank you CF for granting my request.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mike,

      You are most welome, Mike. I hope it answered your questions.

      CF

      Delete
  3. He prepared for his 'leaving', how many of us can do it? and also 'celebrate death' in Osho's words.

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi CF,

    I think his blogging contributed to a very significant extent in his overall treatment protocol. As you wrote earlier in your part 2 which I quote:

    "It is the person's mental and emotional wellbeing that really matters, apart from the physical treatment. Had he been coping well? Was he being supported?"

    Blogging gave him the impetus to continue searching and communicating, knowing that there were thousands listening and talking to him. I think that was the greatest emotional support that he received, by sharing his thoughts, feelings and the valuable info with the world at large.

    By sharing, we receive. And when we receive, we should remember to continue to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Justin
      Blogging can be cathartic or therapeutic or give him the impetus to continue searching and communicating as you said but nothing heals like real human touch and love.

      CF

      Delete
  5. Hi CF
    Thank you for the heart rending yet so real description of Chang's last days and passing. Chang's so brave and was a warrior to prepare for his end days and yes how many of us can do this. Lets learn from slowly releasing our attachments to so many things as we cannot carry anything over to our next life. I agree we should not squabble over small things and stress ourselves up. Lets treasure our life now, do what makes our innerself happy, peaceful and satisfied. Do the things that we want to do when we cannot do in our earlier days. Life is so precious.
    CF, I'm so happy for you to have an ever understanding spouse and lovely family. I see you are so open and sincere, so willing to share your life experiences. Keep it up. I feel connected to you when you write. Chang will be happy that his blog is being carried on.
    Sadhu, Sadhu, Sadhu
    With meta
    Sze



    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sze,

    Thank you. You have a positive way of looking at things and always have kind things to say. I cannot carry on Chang's blog. It is up to his family to do so. I think I cannot afford to be so presumptious. I have done my best for his blog and now, am writing for this blog. I am just a friend reminiscing together with some of his former readers and sharing some life experiences. The 49th day series probably completes his story for now. I won't be writing much more about him except maybe in passing. Life has to go on. There are many other beautiful experiences to share.

    CF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear CF,
      I look forward to your blog now, as before Chang's blog though a silent reader as he was a good friend of my husband. They had good times together in his pre and post cancer days. Yes, Life has to go on. Lets share beautiful experiences from now on.
      Yeah, you cannot be carrying on Chang's blog, it would be too sensitive, anyway Chang's blog will leave a great reference to whoever may need it.It is so thorough and complete as so much research had been done by Chang. He will be remembered thru his blog.

      However, I was surprised that you are a lady friend of Chang, and instantly I sign up as follower to this blog and I feel we can connect already.
      Regards
      Sze

      Delete
  7. Dear Sze,

    Almost everyone expected me to be a male friend.I suppose that is society's perception. I also want to say that at the end of the day, all of us are just human beings. We need care whether we are men, women, King or Queen. I meant to include this view in my 49th Day series, actually. So are you also Mrs Heng?

    CF

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear CF,

    The part 3 is indeed good one. Though I visited only twice, the experience in last one was very much like what you have described, yeah, eyes closed, stomach discomfort, with the wife asking whether he needed morphine. He was certainly very strong mentally, but at the same time caring. He text me not to rush be careful whlst driving along LDP during peak hour that evening.

    Best regards, kokpiew

    ReplyDelete