Tuesday 15 January 2013

Motherhood


Since I came back from India, I have been busy catching up with work and  family. With  the  New Year, there have been changes to my daughter's schooling schedule. Motherhood, as with every other role we assume in life, is what we make of it. I have met the most dedicated of mothers and also those who take it rather matter of factly. There is no right or wrong approach to parenting. It is a matter of priorities and choices. We reap what we sow.

I took a break in my career to bring up my daughter when she was born. It was a decision that took my ex-colleagues and friends by surprise. I think it was a choice that went against the grain of normal expectations. My closest friends understood but some others questioned how I could give up my potential earnings and a promising career. If you look at it solely from the financial perspective, what they say is true. Maybe, I am not that wise about money though I am a trained accountant.

Early childhood is the most intensive period of brain development during the lifespan. Recent research confirms that the first five years are particularly important for the development of the child's brain, and the first three years are the most critical in shaping the child's brain architecture. Children learn more quickly during their early years than at any other time in life. They need love and nurturing to develop a sense of trust and security that turns into confidence as they grow. Babies and young children grow, learn and develop rapidly when they receive love and affection, attention, encouragement and mental stimulation, as well as nutritious meals and good health care.

I wanted  to be closely involved in my child's development at this time. Thus, choices had to be made. We cannot always have the cake and eat it too. Something has got to give. It was not easy to survive as a single income family so we cut back on luxuries. I did not have a maid and coped on my own. I found it challenging because I really had no idea how to be a good mother. People usually consciously or unconsciously parent in the same way as their parents or if they have had  unhappy experiences, compensate for it by doing the opposite of their parents. Like many modern parents, I read up on parenting when I became pregnant.

The years spent staying home, nurturing my daughter have been the most treasured years of my life.  I have watched her develop from milestone to milestone with much pride. Motherhood is by far, the more satisfying and fulfulling job. It is a lifelong commitment and responsibility being a parent. It is a tiring, difficult, rewarding, beautiful process and I regard it a gift to have a hand in shaping the life of another human being. A gift that could so easily be taken for granted.

There are more and more women, some highly educated who have opted to be stay-at-home mothers. Besides this, there are others who have taken career breaks to attend to their parents, family or their health matters. I understand their challenges and sacrifices and I support their courage and foresight. Life is more than just about earnings, it is also about living, sharing, giving and forging bonds.

9 comments:

  1. Dear CF,

    I do agree that children need nurturing and care. More and more children are being left with babysitters, from the time they are a few months old, some for an entire week at a time. If the babysitter is compassionate then it works well but some babysitters are not. A neighbour of mine, who is a babysitter, used the elastic band on the child when he wet his pants.

    Suzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Suzie,

      Thank you for sharing. Children are at a vulnerable stage of their lives. They deserve and need our love.

      CF

      Delete
  2. Hi ... to me I think you make a wise decision !

    many parents outsource their parenting to the maids, with serious negative side effects ! and of coz, they substitute their lack of hands-on giving their kids other forms of material benefits.

    Like for me, an opportunity arose where I could quit work to spend time with my mum not knowing that she would passed away sooner then I thought. I will never live to regret that last few years I spend time with her.

    Best wishes,

    Gan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Gan,

    I applaud you because nowadays, not many people are willing to do what you did, especially for their parents. You had the opportunity and you took it. Yes, to me, you made a wise decision too. And your mother must have been very happy and touched.

    Regards,
    CF

    ReplyDelete
  4. CF,

    Very good choice indeed. Not trying to find an excuse, because we could then find maid we never thought of doing anything else. Thanks God the children grew up well.

    Now turning to the parents, I really regret did not spend enough time with my mother,she surely had had very hard time to bring up the 10 of us!!

    I just came back from attending a wake of a friend, Loo, who also succumbed to cancer like Chang. Chang and Loo's wife & myself were colleagues, upon comparison, I couldn't help believing Chang had made so much difference in his cancer journey, God bless Chang !!

    Rgds, kokpiew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kok Piew,

      10 children!! Wow, your mom must have had her hands full. I have heard this from a few friends already, that they wish they had spent more time with their mothers. I think this applies to anyone close to us.

      Chang fell into a different category as a cancer patient. He had always been a survivor. A capable person,he prided himself on being different. His story is both courageous and sad.

      Regards,
      CF

      Delete
  5. Hi CF,

    My mum's famous words ... parents can take care of 10 kids but 10 kids cannot take care of parents !

    For me I choose to believe it was Destiny's way ... because no way in a zillion years my previous Company would have given us an attractive VSS making it all possible for me to quit my job. My mum would not have permitted it too if it had not happen this way !

    I am thankful to be blessed with being able to be with my mum in the last chapter of her life !

    In case I don't drop by your site before Chinese New Year - here's wishing you and your family a healthy and happy year ahead !


    Regards,

    Gan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Gan,

    Wishing you and your family good health, happiness and prosperity this coming Chinese New Year too!! Hope you have a good break.

    Regards,
    CF

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear CF,

    May you be weell and happy!!

    Jinnie

    ReplyDelete