Friday 4 January 2013

Home Sweet Home

Nami Island, location of the filming of "Winter Sonata"

My recent trip to Korea was a trip organised by my company. I had wanted to go wihout my family because it would be quite costly but after my neighbour reminded me that our children grow up just too fast, I decided to bring my family along. I knew I would miss them if I left them behind. My daughter would be thrilled playing in the snow and it would be my family's first winter together.

It was a packaged tour that was not very well organised. The itinerary was changed without prior consultation. It certainly was not the relaxing holiday I wished for, since I had just recovered from my flu. I found the 6 am wake up calls, a bit early for a holiday. The tour guide constantly hurried us and scolded us if we do not keep to his time. We were scolded after we spent a bit "too much time" at the War Museum. We were given only 15 minutes at the War Museum but an hour at the ginseng shop.  The priority was on how much commissions the agents would earn from our purchases. On the last day, we were told to wake up at 3.30am for our flight home at 9.30am. Along the way to the airport, they dropped us at a shopping outlet to make more purchases, instead of taking us for breakfast. I was speechless.

Nevertheless, nothing could have taken away my joy at watching the falling snow. My daughter and I had a snowball fight. The beauty of Nami Island and Mount Sorak kept me captivated. Nami Island is a popular tourist spot because it is the location for the filming of the famous Korean drama, "Winter Sonata." The breathtaking scenery was well worth the trip.  I did not find Seoul particularly interesting, however.  With the exception of Korean cosmetics, most things were rather expensive.  My female colleagues went on a shopping spree. Laneige was a favourite brand. 
The Palace
Nami Island
There really is no place like home. It is so true. I am so glad to be back in the warmth of our country. It is probably because I am not used to being wrapped in  5 to 6 layers of clothing each time I walk outside. Korean winter is known to be harsh. The snow is slippery and a number of us fell down including myself and my daughter. One of my colleagues had a bad fall and  spent some RM800 on medical consultation. Some people say that  packaged tours are so hectic that we need another break just to recover.  A few of my colleagues are not feeling well after coming back. The unanimous vote is, no more winter trips for the company staff!

All in all, it was an opportunity to have a totally new experience for us. I can't say I love Korea but I enjoyed some extraordinarily beautiful scenery and the falling snow. And I am always mindful, thankful and grateful for the opportunity to travel.

Mount Sorak

1 comment:

  1. Ι think thе admіn of thiѕ site іѕ genuinеly
    working haгd for his site, becаuѕе here evеry infοгmation is qualіty based stuff.

    Τhanκ уοu for sharing exсеllent іnformаtіons.
    Your ωeb site is ѕο coοl. I'm impressed by the details that you have on this website. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for more articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found just the info I already searched everywhere and simply could not come across. What a perfect website.
    my page :: her comment is here

    ReplyDelete