Sunday 12 May 2013

Happy Mother's Day


It is Mother's Day today. I would like to wish all mothers a happy and relaxing day.  I hope you take time off  to show some love to yourselves today!

 
A fellow mother said. "It is always me last." I think what some mothers want most is to have some time off for themselves and  to be feted and pampered. As a mother myself, I feel that because of society's expectations as well as from our family upbringing, women have been taught from young to put others first.

The modern mother has multiple roles to play, a mother, a career woman, a wife, a home manager, transporter and cook. There is little time at the end of the day for themselves. Even on occasions when they do take time off, it is not without the tinge of guilt. There are regular checks and smses to make sure everything is alright at the home front.  Women are sometimes also their own worst enemies. Mothers-in-law criticising their daughters-in-law. Instead of supporting each other, they judge another woman harshly for not meeting their own expectations.

Is this a case of  the mother not being able to let go or is it her husband and children's dependency? Only the individual woman herself would know the answer. The phrase "Don't sweat the small stuff" is so true. Our families will not starve in our absence. They have to learn to take care of themselves eventually. And it is important that they understand this so that mothers can get time off to re-charge their batteries and stay healthy. If one family member is down, the entire family is affected.


The mother’s worth as a role model and guardian is indisputable. Good mothers are like gardeners that grow the beautiful fragrant flowers and most luscious fruits. Great men and women in all fields of society are created, molded and inspired by their mothers.

All too often, mothers forget their contribution and worth in this increasingly materialistic society. Due to increasing pressures, mothers have had to hand over the physical care of their children to maids and babysitters. Because the mother plays a crucial role in nurturing the character of the child as well being the main source of emotional nourishment, it would be too simplistic to say that the mother's role can be substituted. A friend who does not bring her baby home from the babysitter's said that her child would not know the difference. I beg to differ.

5 comments:

  1. Hi CF

    Happy belated Mother's Day to you too. You are a wonderful mum.
    I was away and absent from your blog a long time, now I am back not realizing how much I miss your articles and sharing.
    Yes, we mothers are very important and we treat our children, even when they are adults now, like kids, we worry too much of their well being, how they are coping in their everyday lives, what they do and so on....all the what, when, where, why, who and how will come to our minds.....Now I have learned to let go a bit to be more sane and happy in our lives by following the teachings of our Lord Buddha....and meditations and Dana offerings do help in our daily life.....
    Sadhu, sadhu, sadhu
    Sze

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sze,

    Yes, I did miss hearing from you too. I did wonder how you have been keeping. If I had your email address I probably would have written to you. Not to find out whether you are following this blog but just to check that you are well.
    I think after awhile I have gotten used to hearing from some readers here and if I do not hear from them for too long, I do get a bit concerned. Anyway, nice to have you back.

    Yes, I agree that as with any spiritual practice, putting the teachings into practice is most important.
    Sadhu, sadhu,sadhu

    CF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CF

      Thanks for the concern, my email add is: maylingsze@yahoo.com.
      You are forever so caring and concerned even though you are so busy with work, family and spiritually.
      As I was going through your blog, your dad was unwell, hope he is getting well soon. And your dog, Oreo passed on, I was so sad for you n your daughter, how did she died? I thought she was okay, life is indeed so short.

      We, in fact my husband adopted a male doggie, Luckie, from the vet as the owner left a breed of 4 at the vet for adoption. Now he is 5 months old, he is very active, naughty - bite at everything, slippers, wooden chair legs, car mud flap even we have soft toys, bones for him, and 'manja' as we think we spoiled him. Now have to properly train him, he can pee and poo at a fixed place, we put newspaper at the porch for him. He is just so adorable though. He have gone through his vaccinations and deworming.
      Regards
      Sze

      Delete
  3. Dear Sze,

    Thanks for giving me your email. My father is weak but holding on. I have written a post on Oreo's death. It has been 3 months and I still find it hard to talk about it.
    It is great that your husband adopted a dog. I have also adopted a new dog. Dogs and cats are really adorable. They are always happy to see you. Their love is so unconditional. They hold no grudges. I just love them.

    Regards,
    CF

    ReplyDelete