Sunday 5 May 2013

GE 13 Blackout Sunday

              (picture  courtesy of a friend's friend from Hong Kong shared on Facebook)

Today is the day many Malaysians have been waiting for. The day is finally here. We cannot wait to  speak our minds. And our vote can do just that, or so we thought.. My family were up early as we were anticipating a long queue. And indeed, there was already a long one when I arrived at the polling station. 

As opposed to previous elections, I can sense a difference in the air this time around. People were enthusiastic and eager to do their bit.  The urban voting crowd is today more aware than a few years ago. They were armed with the latest information and a number had printed out their voting details prior to coming. 

In the queue with me was a lady who had flown in from Shanghai  just to cast her vote. She said she is back to vote, for change. My parents, too, though both frail went to vote. My father, in a wheelchair and my mother, walked with support. I am proud of my parents, especially my father because he went in good spirits when he could easily have given excuses. I wish that more and more people will realise the importance of their vote and what it means. It is not just a cross on a sheet of paper. A single vote could actually change the political landscape of the entire country.

I stayed up to wait for the elections results. All I can say is that I am very disturbed, angry and  saddened by the stories I hear. Alleged stories of tension in certain areas because extra ballot boxes were brought in after unofficial victory for the opposition. Extra ballot boxes suddenly appearing after a sudden blackout which changed the results.What is the truth?

We are a country of many races, wanting to live together in harmony. We all just want to live happily in a safe environment. What use is it to have a nation achieve "developed" status, Vision 2020 etc? All the infrastructure and technology is nothing if we lose our integrity as a nation.

The world has been watching us. The day started out with promise but ended with great sadness and anger for many. Many expressed that they have lost faith in the system and lost their true voices. I hope that as a nation we can learn and heal from this. That we can move on without blaming one another. Let not race nor religion be used as a distraction to divide us, for the sake of this beautiful nation.

Watch this magical blackout video that has gone viral http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYRW9mt1AE

No comments:

Post a Comment