Friday 7 December 2012

Stories from Mundgod

I am still not well, having a sore throat and cough. The Mundgod area is polluted and dusty. It is a common sight to see locals walking around wearing cloth masks around their noses and mouths.. It was something I was not aware of so I spent the first few days here walking around bare faced. As this area is basically a Tibetan refugee camp, it is a protected area.  Foreigners are not allowed in without a permit. For the purpose of the teachings, we had to apply for the Protected Area Permit (PAP) a few months in advance. Anyone without a permit can be deported and fined.

Life here is very basic. Many of the males are monks, from the young to old. Before and after the teachings, the area is  a sea of red robes. Spirituality is an important part of their lives. Adults chant as they walk around. I am into Day 8 of the teachings. Teachings go on as usual on Saturdays and Sundays. I must admit I feel extra tired because of the flu.

 I took quite a long period of leave from work to come here.  I  attend to work issues  now and then when I have access to the internet. I  made the decision to to set aside time in my life to do something which has been in my heart and brings me meaning. I love to learn and this is another learning experience in my life. I realise with each step that I have taken,  I have to look a bit deeper into myself.

I have always wanted to spend a period of  time on spiritual pursuits in India. So here I am. I give thanks to the people who made this possible, the group I travel with as well as my family. And, I am very grateful for the blessings I have received.



6 comments:

  1. CF,

    My salute to you for the strong commitment.

    Take care of yourself cos there are people who depend on u, get well soon

    rgds, kokpiew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear CF,

    Thanks for the updates. I feel that spirituality is ideal for our personal well being.
    Generally, people look after physical health, overlook mental health and nourishment for the soul.
    Take good care and rest well.

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kok Piew and Evelyn,

    Thank you for the kind wishes. I am drinking lots of water and have a day off tomorrow because H.H. Dalai Lama has an official function. Its cool to see so many high lamas here. Last night was a night of special prayers at Gaden Monastery. The hall was filled with young monks. The atmosphere and energy was awesome. I have not seen anything like this. It was a very happy night. Cakes and drinks were distributed to us. And all the little monks were given cash donations. After we left, the singing continued. I am better today.

    CF

    ReplyDelete
  4. CF,

    I dont write much but spiritually I am supporting you. Whenever I come into your website, I would put a like to every topic as they are interesting... love your blog

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi CF,

    Take care of your physical health to enble you to fulfil your spiritual wellbeing !

    Regards,

    Gan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Cindi and Gan,

    Thank you. Thank you. I was unprepared for this trip and did not know how to take care of myself properly. I am still having quite a bad cough.

    CF

    ReplyDelete