Monday 17 December 2012

Expectations



As human beings, it is difficult not to have any expectations. From the time we are babies, we start to have expectations. When we cry, we expect to be responded to. If we fail to get any attention, we wail even louder.

Trouble brews when expectations are not met. It is said that the difference between what should be and what is,  is where sadness comes from. It is true that if we do not manage our expectations, we set ourselves up for disappointment. However, is it possible to live with no expectations at  all? Imagine having no expectation of how that steaming cup of coffee would taste like as you bring it to your lips? Or have no expectation of how your latest Ipad would perform.

I have seen how shattered parents have been when their children fail to live up to their expectations. And terminally ill patients who cannot accept that their spouses do not support them in the manner they expect. It is said that having expectations is the source of our problems. Yet, is it unreasonable to expect that your spouse would take care of you when you are sick? Or that your children would care for you when you are sick or old? Which expectations are considered reasonable?

We tend to draw conclusions and make assumptions based on a person's profession or religion. If you meet a religious person, you may unknowingly expect that they behave in a more humane manner.  Recently, when I was sick, someone shared with me that  we should fend for ourselves and not expect help, unless it is from spouse or family.  It was an eye opener for me because that was not how I view life.  Whatever it is, I take it as a learning experience. This experience taught me a lesson about how different our individual perceptions can be  and to be very careful about expectations.

5 comments:

  1. CF,

    How are you recovering ?

    Agreed insofar as managing our sadness is concerned.

    I thought I read Edison said something to this effect ' I found 999 ways in which the experiement didn't work, so the chance of me finding in the next attempt a workable way is much higher'

    Don't know whether we can apply the concept to emotion?

    rgds, kokpiew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kok Piew,

      I am still having a cough. My colleagues are also coughing. I suppose life does involve some experimentation as well as trial and error. There are no straightforward answers.

      CF

      Delete
  2. Hey everyone! Comment more!

    sunny soya bean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello CF,

    Thanks for updating Chang CT Blog. I have known CT for many years and it is indeed sad he has left but thanks for helping him when he needed help. I hope you are getting better now for the autumn festival is three days away..Take care and drink a lot of water. Try steaming an orange and drink its juice.It may help. If dry cough, try boiling water-crest with " mud joe' and drink the soup. Hope it works...Take care now. Your blog is interesting...keep it up..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    Thanks for your tips. I am still coughing so I shall try it.

    CF

    ReplyDelete