Monday 10 December 2012

More Stories from Mundgod

I came for this teaching with a group of people I had never met prior to this trip (who are my friends now). The only person I knew then was Chang's former doctor (for intravenous Vitamin C therapy) whom I met once. Because I was slow in making my decision to travel to Mundgod, I contacted him. His group had not submitted the PAP (Protective Area Permit) applications yet so I could submit my application together with them. They made all the travel arrangements for me including my visa application. I just had to turn up at the airport on the day of departure.

I am sharing a room with two ladies. The facilities are good and clean. We get hot water baths through the solar heating system. We also get to do our laundry here. Meals are fully provided for and cooked by monks. The variety can be slightly limited. However, I have no complaints. I am happy just to get my meals hot when I need them. Anyway, I hardly had any appetite for food when I was sick. I ate plain porridge and soup  for breakfast and lunch. The monks specially planted vegetables in the garden in preparation for our stay.

My group as well as the people I have met here are seasoned practitioners. They are very committed and focused. All have travelled far, some travelling for two days just to get here. What is it that they have found? What is it that I am looking for in spiritual practice? I think it is to help myself, understand my mind  and  learn ways to transform for the better. My hopes for the world starts with me, taking the first step. After all, I cannot change my boss or my parents, my husband or daughter. But I can change me. It is not easy and takes time but it is worth striving for.

4 comments:

  1. Hi CF
    I like yr last 4 sentences. Yup, I agree it's not easy but it's good that you're striving for it. Definitely an eye opener for beginners to live the way you live over there. Take care..

    Rgds
    CP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear CP,

    I was told by my friends that conditions are very good. We live in a 4 storey building that was built for the use of visitors like us. Facilities are modern and clean. Due to huge number of people this time, the monks vacated their quarters for the visitors. They are all very nice. We get free flow of bottled water.

    CF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CF
    I admire your determination and committed self, not complaining about the conditions even though you are not well. Hope you can find the answers to the happiness and the transformation that you are striving for. Keep focused, you will achieve what your goals are.
    All the best
    May Sze

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sze,

    When I was sick, I felt very uncomfortable and found it hard to sit through full day teachings on the floor. I really wanted to lie down and sleep because my body felt so tired. So I stayed back for 2 days to rest and listen and read from my room. The next day, I attended the teachings and became sick again but this time I continued to attend. I felt frustrated because I was tired but it had nothing to do with external conditions. I was definitely not cheerful and had no appetite. Health is so important.

    CF

    ReplyDelete