Sunday 23 December 2012

Oreo

I first laid eyes on her on Wesak Day in 2010. She was a cute and adorable 2 month old baby with big, black expressive eyes. When the caretaker held her and placed her on my daughter's lap, she was enthralled. My husband, cat lover was not amused. He was very sure of what he did not want. It took us, mother and daughter a long time to talk him into bringing the baby home.

The baby whom my daughter named Oreo, is her good natured, expressive  and playful dog. My daughter was heartbroken after her stray cat, Pansy died and she wanted a dog as a replacement. Because I grew up with dogs around the compound, I wanted my daughter to enjoy the same experience. In my growing up years,  I have found them to be a source of comfort. They are responsive and expressive and somehow able to sense my moods. 

I decided to adopt a dog because there are already too many unwanted canines needing homes. Besides hoping to teach my daughter responsibility and compassion toward animals, I decided to give a stray, a home. For this reason, I did not want to select any particular breed but to take a suitable one that comes along. I personally disagree with the commercial breeding of dogs which has caused so much  suffering.

Oreo was a stray in a litter of 6 puppies and was placed out for adoption. Her mother was also a stray. Yesterday, she was injured when we were out shopping in the afternoon. We received a call from our neighbour who reported that Oreo tried to climb over the fence in desperation after some thunder and lightning. Her hind paws suffered cuts after they became stuck and bled quite a bit. Our good neighbour came over with pliers to help her. 

We took her to the vet who cleaned her up and gave her 2 injections. I held her throughout the procedure and she was very well behaved. She looked into my eyes seeking to understand and we comforted her. Her paws have been bandaged and she is wearing a cone around her neck. She has to be fed antibiotics twice a day and her bandage changed daily. I am glad Oreo survived. It could have been worse. Nonetheless, I am rather worried about her as she seems to have been traumatised by loud sounds recently.

Yes, my husband is indeed right. She does require a fair amount of work and my plate is full. I have pondered over this. I think any form of non-monetary contribution to others require us to set aside our time and put in some effort. But is that not the point of giving? To draw away from our basically self-centred approach to life and include others less fortunate than us, even if it is for a minute? The beauty of giving is that it never leaves us, the giver, untouched. And Oreo has given us back in intangible ways which cannot be measured.

I hope we have been fair to her by taking her in. Though she has a home, we are nevertheless busy people. She runs around the compound and we take her for walks when we have the time. We love you, Oreo. You deserve love and care,  just as we humans do.


.

4 comments:

  1. Hi CF & CF's daughter
    Oreo is so lucky to have you and yr daughter taking great care of her and a loving and caring home. Hope Oreo get well soon.
    She is grateful for what you had done for her. She is so cute and adorable wearing the cone and look so obedient too.
    Has Oreo been spayed? If not she will breed litters too.
    Cheers
    May Sze

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sze

    Oreo has been spayed and received all her vaccinations. Strangely her fear of loud noises started after the spaying. Maybe it is just a coincidence but it has become a problem.

    CF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CF
    Thank you for taking in a stray as a pet instead of picking one from the pet shop. Lucky Oreo. Does she get along well with your cats?

    The weather has been very 'fierce' lately with terribly loud thunder and lightning and I pray for the safety of all the strays on the street. My cats too run under cover (drains/cars/cupboards/shelves) whenever the weather turns gloomy :)

    Yes, I agree it's quite a handful to look after them, and we worry a lot especially when we have to be away for days. Luckily I too have good neighbours who help me feed them when I go away for short breaks. But at the end of the day, we know it's definitely worth our time taking them in and keeping them off the street.

    There are two groups of contributors - one who contributes in monetary form and another who contribute their time. Personally, I feel more joy in sharing my time with the less fortunate as it adds more value to my life. Of course, by taking them in, we need $ to feed them as well. My philosophy - Life is short, don't wait, just do it when opportunity presents itself.

    May Oreo recovers quickly and may he be well and happy always.

    Rgds
    CP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear CP,

    Oreo lives in front and the cats at the back. Sorren, the cat would make trips to the front to try to come into our house when she feels insecure. Oreo likes her and will smell and lick her and Sorren would purr and brush herself against Oreo. Yes, it can be costly to take care of animals especially when they fall sick. I have built a roof at the back for the cats so that they have shelter from the rain and sun. I posted the photos of the cats on the blog before I left for India so that I can have a look at them when I am away. They are no different from us.

    CF

    ReplyDelete