Saturday 30 November 2013

The Journal

Of late, I have not been very active on this blog. I have alot on my plate , trying to juggle all the different areas of my life. It appears that I have fallen into the category of the  woman who tries to  keep everyone else happy and sometimes forgets about herself.

When I was young, I had this inner stirring to write. Though I considered applying to the Star newspaper for a job, I didnt have the confidence then, to do it. Now, many years later, I realise that  I hadn't listened to that intuitive call.

I had started keeping a journal even in my primary years. I wrote on pieces of paper, not knowing that it was called journalling. It seemed very natural then and served as an outlet to release my pentup emotions.  It was in my journal that I felt safe enough to voice my innermost thoughts and feelings about the perceived injustices and inequalities of my young life. Being born into a predominantly male family, you could say that I was already a feminist by age nine.

Journaling is a form of self therapy. Today, the journal is a tool recommended by many therapists and counsellors. There are even books on how to journal and the benefits of journalling.  A journal can help you figure out how you feel, what you think, what you need, what you want to say, how you want to handle a situation, just by writing it through.

You don't need to think of yourself as a writer or even like to write. What you can do is a kind of free writing or stream-of-consciousness writing. Choose a topic which you feel you need to express. If possible, set aside a time each day to write. Write without stopping. You needn't use full sentences. You needn't spell or punctuate properly. It can be in English or another language. It's not about trying to make sense to someone else. Rather it's a way to short-circuit some of your censors to get to what you need to say. 

Writing is therapeutic. It is a tool which we can use to heal ourselves. Through the years, I have written letters of closure to my late grandmother and even my pets. The best thing about it is that it is quiet, cheap and portable.  And if you regularly create a sacred space for introspection, you will be rewarded with many surprising insights through your writing.  I know I have.

6 comments:

  1. Good morning CF,

    Long time no talk, or rather, no write. Writing takes up 100 % of my time. The wonders of the internet keep me busy writing, writing, and writing in the internet. The bonus and beauty in internet writing is that there is always some one out there reading your contributions to mankind, every second of the day and night. Added to all these, people all over the world communicate with me 24/7. The greatest pleasure is that I get paid for writing in the internet. Nowadays I call myself "internet writer".

    Hope you are well and happy, and all your family members too, including all your pets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Justin
    Good to hear from you. I spent the day attending a crystal workshop. Yes. I agree. The wonders of the internet allows us to work right from our homes. It is now a borderless world. Best wishes to you and your family too. Hope everyone is in the pink of health.

    Rgds
    CF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CF,
    As the Chinese new year is approaching near, here's wishing you and your loved ones, including your blog followers 'Gong Xi Fa Cai' - May the year of the Horse brings good health, happiness and peace to all.

    Best wishes from
    CP & family

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI CF,
    Hope everything is well with you
    I do agree writing is the best way of letting go steam when one does not know whom she is able to approach for help. I did this way too. At one time I was very fed up with my executive and i kept on writing on my perception and her wrong doings into a reporting. When I told my VP. she was not happy and said that this is not the way to let go. Final conclusion that she was the one who did not understand, and on my worker's side as her husband is my President's driver. And I, have a PTCA on the heart due to stress for the last couple of months on this issue and my contract ended this year.

    Writing is good and therapeutic. i agree totally.

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Cindi,

    At the time you posted your comment, I was in Nepal; my retreat was just starting. Thereafter I came back and within a few short days. flew off to India. I have been really busy catching up since then. However, all the while, it has been on my mind to thank you so much for sharing on this blog.
    How are you doing now? I hope everything is going smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi CF,

    Thank you for your reply. It is thoughtful of you to reply even you are busy. I do come in here to check once a while for any new sharing.
    I am retiring in 2 weeks' time. Good riddance for everything. I think I shall be happy leaving all the baggages behind.... Cindi

    ReplyDelete