Tuesday 2 April 2013

The Passage of Life

I visited my father daily when he was in the hospital. He was sedated for two days in the Intensive Care Unit. On the third day, I was informed that  he was conscious but his eyes were closed. When I greeted him, he opened his eyes  and I saw the look of recognition in them. He then closed his eyes again, and I saw a tear roll down his cheek. I had never seen my father cry before and overcome by emotion myself, I could only guess the reasons for his tears.

In all these years that I have been his daughter, I can honestly say that I don't know the man. He migrated from China in his teens and is what they call a "Chinaman." As a father, he rarely communicated with us, his children one on one.  Being hard of hearing now, it is even harder to talk.  I felt at a loss how to bridge the gap. I think many people communicate their love to their parents through service and gifts.  Ang paus, food, dinners and regular visits. It is not part of our Asian culture to hug and kiss or be touchy feely.

I did not come from a tactile family. My father had not hugged us since we were little children. However, at a time like this, apart from the visits, I wanted to communicate more. And to me, touch is a form of non-verbal communication that can  say as much as a lot of words. This is probably most obvious when someone you know is in trouble or in sorrow. Taking hold of his or her hand or putting an arm around the shoulder often is much more effective than words.   It can communicate warmth, support, understanding, compassion and love.

I decided that it is time, to be myself. Pride and ego has no place at time like this. I would make it a point to touch him or massage his shoulders and arms.  I even plucked the courage to stroke his face and hair. I told him in Cantonese that I loved him and we, the family loved him very much. I just wanted to be sure he knew, in case anything happened to him, that he was not alone and we cared for him.

Two days later, the doctor called for a morning meeting to brief  my brothers and me about my father's condition. He said that my father could be discharged but his heart was failing. We would have to decide whether we wanted to hook him onto a respirator the next time it happens or just give him oxygen and let him go. If her recovers, it is good but if he is unable to breathe on his own, no one has the right to take him off the machine and it could go on for weeks.  No one knows. What a decision to make. I left the meeting with a heavy, heavy heart that day.

11 comments:

  1. Dear CF,

    As children, I feel that being there for our aged and unwell parents will bring some comfort to them and also they will feel our love too.

    Take care.
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Evelyn,

      Yes, I agree with you. Our time and attention is what our aged parents look forward to.

      Regards,
      CF

      Delete
  2. Hi CF,
    It's so sad, I feel yr sorrow. After reading this article, I can't help it & shed some tears.
    I can relate to what U R experiencing coz my father's character is the same as yr dad. Best wishes to yr dad. Everything happens for a reason.

    I always visit yr blog and enjoyed reading it as a silent reader only. Most of yr articles R very well written & meaningful. It inspires me & enhance my awareness. Maybe U R not aware but U hv light up/touched the lives of others like me. Keep up yr good work. Take this opportunity to say 'Thank You'
    Coz I seldom comment. Blessings/LL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear LL,

    I have read your comments before. You are always so kind with your comments. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for caring.

    Regards,
    CF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear CF,
    I know your father can feel the extent of your love for him. I too come from a family that is not tactile, but i guess as we grow older and become the sum total of our experiences, we find the courage to break habit and tradition so we can convey our love in the simplest form. Your father knows this whatever decisions you will make. Take care.

    Teacher A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Teacher A,

    Yes, you are right there. We are indeed "the sum total of our experiences"
    Hmm..... So true. Thanks for sharing.


    Regards,
    CF

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take good care of yourself and be strong.

    I am still thinking of my mum who had gone so sudden last year. She raised us up single handely. I never had father's love and not knowing what was mother's love until I became a mother. I had regretted a lot for not giving her the best.

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Cindi,

    Thank you for sharing. I hope you don't mind that I take the liberty to say some things here..

    When I read your story, I could feel that it must have been hard for you this past year. It must have been very tough for her too, being a single mum. However, the good thing is that you realised and so appreciate her for her sacrifices, after being a mother yourself.

    You are a mother now, so you know a mother's heart. Don't beat yourself up going over the past. She would never want you to do that to yourself. And she is proud that you finally understand, wherever she may be now.

    Regards,
    CF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CF,

      I am so moved by your reply that my eyes nearly swelled with tears aftr reading your reply.

      Every 2 months or so. I would go to the temple to pray at her alter. I am now a half Buddhist and half Christian. I missed her.....

      Cindi



      Delete
  8. Dear Cindi,


    Take good care of yourself.


    Regards,
    CF

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Cindi,

    I wish to dedicate this poem to you. She has gone physically but her love remains within you, in your heart. What is more important now is the present and your children.

    "I am not Gone

    I remain here beside you
    Just in a different form
    Look for me in your heart
    And there you will find me
    in our love which forever lives on

    In those moments when you feel alone
    Look for me in your thoughts
    And there you will find me
    in sweet memories that burn strong

    Every time a tear
    Forms in your beautiful eyes
    Look up to the heavens
    And there you will see me
    Smiling down from God's glorious skies"

    ~By Injete Chesoni

    ReplyDelete